On February 8, 2012, Rep. Edward J. Markey (D-MA) introduced a bill called the SANE Act, or the Smarter Approach to Nuclear Expenditures Act of 2012. This bill would save $100 billion over ten years in federal spending by cutting wasteful spending on a “bloated” nuclear weapons budget. See Rep. Markey’s press release for specific cuts and savings. Thanks to the 34 co-sponsors of this legislation, including New York’s own Rep. Slaughter, Rep. Nadler, Rep. Maloney, and Rep. Bishop. If your Representative is not on this list, please email or call them today and ask them to become a co-sponsor! Below is a video of Rep. Markey introducing the SANE Act on the House floor.
- Tickets to the William Sloane Coffin Jr. Peacemaker Award Event Honoring Journalist Jeremy Scahill on Monday, October 6!
- Place an Ad in the William Sloane Coffin, Jr. Peacemaker Award Event Journal!
- Sally Jones goes to Japan!
- 5 Things to Know Now About Iranian Nuclear Negotiations
- A Question of Perspective: Examining the progress of a nuclear agreement from various global viewpoints